Modern Slavery Act Transparency Statement
Smiggle UK Limited is a subsidiary of Premier Investments Limited (Premier). Premier is a public company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. Premier's Modern Slavery Statement has been prepared to comply with the requirements of the Australian Modern Slavery Act together with section 54 of the UK’s Modern Slavery Act 2015. A copy of Premier's Modern Slavery Statement can be downloaded here.
The statement outlines the steps Premier took in the 12 months to 30 July 2022 to ensure it, and each of its subsidiaries, assessed and addressed modern slavery risks across its entire supply chain. In particular, the statement includes information on the company's structure and supply chains, policies on modern slavery (and ethical sourcing more generally), due diligence processes, risk assessments, the effectiveness of the company's actions and staff training.
WASTE ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT (WEEE) REGULATIONS
- Buying a new electrical or electronic item from us? We'll recycle the one you’re replacing for free. Simply bring the old electrical item in within 28 days, show us the receipt for its replacement and we’ll do the rest.
- You can also find local recycling points for your old electricals here
- Recycling and reusing unwanted electrical or electronics can help save the planet, boost the economy and improve lives. Not only that, electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) contains materials, parts and substances which can be dangerous to the environment and harmful to human health if not disposed of correctly.
- Electrical and electronic equipment is now the fastest growing waste stream in the UK and across the world.
- Discover the impact of reusing and recycling your electricals here Recycle Your Electricals campaign.
What can I recycle?
- Anything with a plug, battery or cable can be recycled or reused! The materials from recycled electricals can be used in everything from children’s playgrounds to lifesaving equipment, while donated tech can help bridge the digital divide.
- You’ll find this symbol on all your electrical items. It is a reminder to recycle your old electricals, rather than binning them.
Reducing waste electricals
- As part of our commitment to reducing the amount of unwanted electrical waste being incinerated or sent to landfill sites, we’ll recycle your old electricals free of charge when you buy new ones. Together we can stop precious resources from being lost forever, save lives and help protect the planet.
- Every year, we collect, reuse and recycle thousands of tonnes of old electrical and electronic equipment.
- We take all your old electricals to a recycling plant for processing and separate into individual materials, so they can be turned into new, more useful things. Watch this film about how your old electricals are recycled.
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is regulated by the UK Government.Find out more here.
- We’re proud to be working with the national Recycle Your Electricals campaign.
Gender Pay Gap Reporting - 2021-22
As at the reporting date, 5 April 2022, Smiggle employed 481 full time relevant staff with 52 (10.81%) being male and 429 (89.19%) female. The percentages of male and female employees remain stable despite the increase in headcount from last year. This increase in headcount from our 2021 number is due to our stores reopening after Covid19 restrictions being lifted.
Smiggle UK is committed to treating everyone fairly, regardless of their background and we look to provide opportunities to our team members based on performance
Our workforce composition is similar to other retailers with women being the majority of store team members and some of the technical and expert roles are held by men. This composition of staff skews the mean gender pay gap of 6.1% towards men. However, this is a reduction in the pay gap from 2021 which had a 9.2% difference in the mean between men and women. The median pay gap shows at the midpoint there is no difference between the pay rates for males and females.
The mean gender bonus gap of 26% towards men is also skewed due to our workforce composition. The median bonus gap of 0% however shows at the midpoint there is no difference between the bonus pay for males and females.
From this analysis, Smiggle is confident that its gender pay gap does not stem from paying men and women differently for the same or equivalent work.
The Gender Pay Analysis results:
- The mean gender pay gap is 6.1%
- The median gender pay gap is 0%
- The mean gender bonus gap is 26%
- The median gender bonus gap is 0%
- The proportion of male employees receiving a bonus is 3.7% and the proportion of female employees receiving a bonus 1.7%
Pay Quartiles By Gender
|A||14.2%||85.8%||Includes all employees whose standard hourly rates places them in the upper quartile|
|B||7.5%||92.5%||Includes all employees whose standard hourly rates places them in the upper middle quartile|
|C||10.8%||89.2%||Includes all employees whose standard hourly rates places them in the lower middle quartile|
|D||10.8%||89.2%||Includes all employees whose standard hourly rates places them in the lower quartile|
The figures set out above have been calculated using the standard methodologies used in the
Gender pay gap reporting: guidance for employers published on 27 February 2023.
Our commitment is to maintain gender pay equity in our business and we will continue to:
- ensure a balanced workforce in all areas of our business through recruitment and succession opportunities.
- offer management and leadership development programmes across our Retail team in particular. This is reflected in delivering our Just Future Leaders training which sets up team members for upcoming leadership opportunities.